Saturday, March 12, 2016

Magic Cleaner

Last year at about this same time my mom called me to chat one day. 
She said, "Hey, what are you up to?" 
I replied, "I'm just scrubbing the top of my fridge with a toothbrush."
"...You're what?"
And I'm not sure that I'll ever live it down...
I'm now The Woman Who Scrubs The Top Of Her Fridge With A Toothbrush. What do ya do?

Anyway, have you ever crawled up there to check it out? It gets all greasy and gunky, especially if it's close to your stove top, like mine. 
My favorite secret weapon for tackling that nastiness is Magic Cleaner.


You haven't ever heard of it? Well, it's made of two things you already have in your cupboard, and it's perfect for tackling everything from grease and grime to hard water and soap scum.


It's super easy to make.

First, take a cup of vinegar and heat it up for one minute in the microwave. Then, add a good sized squeeze of Dawn Dish Soap to it and swirl it together. (I've seen other recipes for this cleaner that require quite a bit more Dawn, but when I've tried them they created so much suds that I couldn't wash them off. This ratio works best for me) Voila! Magic Cleaner!
Pour it into a good spray bottle and you're ready to go.

The cleaning properties of the vinegar combine with the de-greasing properties of the dawn to make a killer cleaner. The Dawn also helps the vinegar stick to surfaces that would otherwise be difficult to let a cleaner sit on, such as bath room walls or the side of the fridge.

In case you need some convincing, I just used this on top of my fridge tonight.
I sprayed it on, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then scrubbed it up.
The top is where I scrubbed, the bottom is still dirty. See how much better it is?!


I had an unknown vegetable oil leak up there I was tackling, so I used my trusty scrub brushes to tackle it after letting it soak in.


If it's not that bad, all you'll need is a warm wet rag to wipe the grease right off.

Spray Bottle Tips:
Reuse an empty cleaner bottle for your homemade cleaners.
Head over to Family Dollar for the most perfect spray bottle ever! Only $1!(The one in the pic)
Grab this pack of 6 by Member's Mark(You'll probably find uses for 6, I'm already up to 5, haha)

Happy Spring Cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment