Saturday, April 23, 2016

Diaper Rash

My baby has sensitive skin. We have to be really careful about what diapers, wipes, lotion, and body wash that we buy for her. We have been battling diaper rash from the beginning and 18 months later I can finally say that we have a solution and a system. I have a select group of products that I use and we can avoid diaper rash all together. However, what do you do when your baby already has a rash!? There was one period of time that my baby's poor bum suffered an on-going rash until I finally found the holy grail of diaper rash creams. It wasn't easy, I tried faithfully using all of the top brands available at the grocery store until the tubes were empty and the rash was still red as Rudolph's nose. But when my aunt suggested using Balmex and let me sample using her tube for a couple of days, I was sold. It was the only cream that was able to heal the rash and in a matter of a couple days! Balmex is also a great heat rash solution. My aunt lives in a hot climate and she uses Balmex regularly to treat heat rash. Another awesome remedy is lavender oil. The ratio is 1 drop of lavender to 1 tablespoon of carrier oil. My sister puts it in a mini pump spray bottle to make it easy to apply. Like a travel size pump hairspray bottle. She uses this solution regularly with her baby and she loves it!!!


If your baby doesn't have a rash then you want to take the necessary measures to avoid one from developing. For my baby, it took a combination of products to finally reach bum happiness. We use Pampers Snugglers Diapers. These keep the dampness away from her skin and allow her bum to breath! Also, they don't leak and the blow-out incidents are drastically lower. The next most important ingredient are sensitive wipes. I use Huggies Natural Wipes because my baby's skin is too sensitive for scented products and the natural ones are unscented. Switching from regularly wipes to natural wipes made the biggest difference for my baby. 


Next, I am very picky about lotions now. For the first year of my baby's life I used the lotions that had been given to me as baby gifts. Although these lotions were high-end brands, I noticed that my baby started getting bumps on her back and bum. I switched to an unscented lotion and the bumps went away! I use Aveeno unscented baby lotion and I love the results. No funny business, just baby soft skin! Last but not least, I quit using my normal baby wash because my baby's hair and skin started feeling dry. I went on a hunt for an awesome natural baby body and hair wash and I found one. Honest Company Shampoo and Body Wash. It is natural AND smells delicious!?! Once I added this beauty to our bath tub ledge I have to admit that I was tempted to start using it for my myself! 


These products have saved my baby's keister (literally!!) and I hope they can save yours too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment